Monday, August 16, 2010

July 1876.

Iv'e had it in my mind for sometime to do a project using pages from an old book that are discoloured with age. Not having anything suitable at home I took myself of to the local charity shop to see it they had any.
They had this lying on a shelf at the back of the shop as not good enough for sale but let me have it for £1.


Well when I got it back home I discovered what a gem I had in my hands. Namely the Poetical works of 'Sir Walter Scott' published in December 1867 price 7s. 6d.

The book had evidently been used frequently. Several pages had the corners turned down to maybe mark a special point of interest and throughout the book pansy petals had been pressed between the sheets.
But the best find of all was the name plaques one on the inside of the front cover and one on the back cover. Eliza Evans June 1876.


Oh Eliza, who were you, is this your maiden name or your married name.( Not your D.O.B as you would have only been 9 yrs old when printed) and how did your book turn up all these years later in a charity shop. How I do so wish you could talk to me.
My dilema is do I go ahead and cut the pages up as planned and make something from them or keep in my own little library which in years to come will probably end up yet again in another charity shop. You my followers you decide.

12 comments:

Ann said...

Oh Valerie I know exactly how you feel - I'm always buying old things to take to pieces and use in projects - books, old linen, cards of buttons, skeins of thread, etc - and then I don't want to take them apart. I'm sure you could find another old book that is already in bits somewhere - car boot sales and junk shops usually have boxes of what can definitely be described as "rubbish" and your charity shop may also get something without covers they could save for you. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make. I've got a small giveaway on my blog at the moment and I've included some pages from an old French children's book - something I did actually manage to take apart!

Sherry said...

Oh Mrs A what a lovely find! Especially as it has the pressed flowers inside too - I wonder how old they are! I'd say go ahead and use it - much better than just sitting there.

Do What You Love said...

Wowzers, now that is indeed a pickle. I am such a lover of books, I don't have the heart to cut one up at all. I have a hard time even giving books away, hoarding them myself even after I've read it several times. I am siding with Ann - perhaps you can find another book to use to be crafty, since this one has a name (Eliza). I think it is such a treasure to find one such as this, a true vintage find at that. :)

Lindsey said...

Nooooooo! This is such a gem of a find, i have to agree with the others that there must be something less interesting to chop up. What about giving the pages of an old Jackie Collins a good tea staining (obviously nothing too raunchy though!!)

Margreet said...

this is so unique....you must keep this intact...just go to the charity shop again and buy something else for your project.......curious wha that will be!
xxx Margreet

Unknown said...

I'm with the majority here - can't cut that one up - it is just amazing to find something that has such history to it x

Faye said...

You must keep Eliza's book and find out who she is! xxx

Molly said...

Valerie! I have been meaning to write you, I received my bead box and are in love. I love my box and have it on my desk next to my beads and I love the beads too! I needed some in that color, so thank you!!! Maybe we can swap again!!
~Molly P

Myra said...

My vote is not to cut it. You can make your own "aged" pages with some brown ink and a Tim Holtz ink blending tool! :-)

Home and Heart said...

I think I would keep it for awhile. You can always change your mind, but if you cut it up now, you may regret it! It is a treasure. Books were I believe, acceptable gifts to get, especially from a man.

Unknown said...

what a wonderful find...ohhh I cant decide..head and heart are saying too different things!!!!!

Di said...

Fascinating to read this Mrs A - my instinct was to say not to harm the book. Which of course set me rethinking about the one I posted about today.

I can see it heading for the bookshelf!

Hugs, Di xx